Girl Scouts of Colorado is announcing the 2012 inductees into the esteemed Women of Distinction program in the Denver metro-area at a private reception on Aug. 8 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the home of 1997 Woman of Distinction Barb Grogan. This year’s seven Denver metro-area honorees were selected by their peers and chosen based on their contributions to the community, both professionally and personally. The Women of Distinction commit to supporting Girl Scouts of Colorado and serving Girl Scouts today.
The Women of Distinction program began in the Denver area in 1997. Including this year’s honorees, Girl Scouts of Colorado has recognized 387 women with this honor. The Women of Distinction is widely regarded as one of Denver’s premier philanthropic programs, bringing together a group of women dedicated to raising funds to support Girl Scout leadership programs. More than $2 million has been raised in 15 years.
Later this year, Girl Scouts of Colorado will publicly honor these inductees at the Women of Distinction Thin Mint Dinner in Denver. This event will be from 5:30-8:30 p.m. on Oct. 23 at the Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel and will spotlight Girl Scouts’ Live Healthy, Lead Healthy initiative, focusing on self-esteem, good nutrition and exercise that will help prevent health issues and other serious ailments that affect girls and women. The event will be a three-course dinner featuring the creative use of Girl Scout Cookies. Honorary chair for the event is Former First Lady of Colorado Jeannie Ritter (2009 Woman of Distinction). Sue Knox with Cricket and Katherine Peck (1998 Woman of Distinction) with The Gill Foundation are event co-chairs.
For more information on the Oct. 23 event, including how you can help, please contact Amy Myers at 303-607-4896 or email@example.com. You can also visit our website for more information or to purchase tickets and/or sponsorships at girlscoutsofcolorado.org/women-of-distinction-denver.
Girl Scouts of Colorado’s Denver metro-area 2012 Women of Distinction:
- Dr. Jandel Allen-Davis: VP of Government and External Relations, Kaiser Permanente Colorado; Board Member, University of Colorado & University of Colorado Foundation; The Denver Foundation; Women’s Forum; Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce & Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce Leadership Foundation
- Peg Bradley-Doppes: Vice Chancellor for Athletics and Recreation and Ritchie Center Operations, University of Denver; Board Member, Denver Metro Sports Commission; Member of the NCAA Women’s Basketball Committee
- Juanita Chacon: Realtor/Community Activist, RE/MAX Alliance Central; Board Member, Community Corrections City and County of Denver; Founder, Latinas First; former Board Chair, Family Star Montessori
- Tricia Downing: Speaker, Author, Athlete, and Founder and Director of Camp Discovery
- Melba “Mel” Johnston: Community Volunteer and Lifetime Service to Girl Scouts; Former President, Girl Scouts Mile Hi Council; Chair, Alumnae Committee, Girl Scouts of Colorado
- Denise O’Leary: Corporate Director/Private Investor, US Airways, Medtronic, Inc. and Calpine Corporation; Board Member, Bonfils-Stanton Foundation and Corporation for Supportive Housing
- Maren Stewart: President & CEO, LiveWell Colorado; Board Chair, Aurora Economic Development Council; Board Member, Colorado Business Committee for the Arts
Media placements about the honoree announcement and/or upcoming event in the Denver Post, Our Colorado News (Penny Parker), Colorado Expression October/November, Villager (Glory Weisberg), YourHubs with the Denver Post/honorees places of business newsletters and websites, and 9NEWS.